2022 SkS Weekly Climate Change & Global Warming News Roundup #40
Posted on 8 October 2022 by John Hartz
Almost 200 nations are set to tackle climate change at COP27 in Egypt. Is this just a talkfest, or does the meeting actually matter?
In a crucial meeting for tackling the climate crisis, almost 200 countries will come together in Egypt at the start of November for a “Conference of the Parties”, or COP27.
You may remember hearing about COP26 in Glasgow about this time last year. It was often hailed as our “last best chance” to keep global warming under 1.5? this century.
Since then, emissions have reached record levels after the pandemic downturn. And this year alone, we’ve seen dozens of catastrophic disasters ranging from drought in the Horn of Africa to floods in Pakistan, South Africa and Australia, and wildfires and heatwaves in Europe, the United States, Mongolia and South America, among others.
As United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said this week:
On every climate front, the only solution is decisive action in solidarity. COP27 is the place for all countries […] to show they are in this fight and in it together.
So, as disasters intensify and war rages in Ukraine, what can we expect from this important summit?
Almost 200 nations are set to tackle climate change at COP27 in Egypt. Is this just a talkfest, or does the meeting actually matter? by Matt McDonald, The Conversation AU, Oct 5, 2022
Links posted on Facebook
Sun, Oct 2, 2022
- Western Forests, Snowpack and Wildfires Appear Trapped in a Vicious Climate Cycle by Bob Berwyn, Inside Climate News, Sep 26, 2022
- Hurricane Ian was a powerful storm. Real estate developers made it a catastrophe. by Jake Bittle, Grist, Sep 30, 2022
- The climate crisis? We’ve been investigating it for more than 100 years by Mark Rice-Oxley & Richard Nelsson, The Guardian, Oct 2, 2022
- Above the Waterline: Electric school buses offer better health, cost-savings & energy efficiency by Sally Bethea, Atlanta Intown, Sep 28, 2022
Mon, Oct 3, 2022
- Scientists hopeful tiny ocean zooplankton will help tell if climate change targets are met by Liz Gwynn, ABC (Australia) News, Oct 1, 2022
- This 100% solar community endured Hurricane Ian with no loss of power and minimal damage by Rachel Ramirez, CNN, Oct 2, 2022
- To understand the scale of the climate emergency, look at hurricanes, Opinion by Peter Kalmus, Comment is Free, The Guardian, Oct 2, 2022
- The American EV boom is about to begin. Does the US have the power to charge it? by John Surico, The Guardian, Oct 3, 2022
Tue, Oct 4, 2022
- U.N. chief: Current climate change pledges ‘far too little and far too late’by David Knowles, Yahoo! News, Oct 3, 2022
- Insects will struggle to keep pace with global temperature rise – which could be bad news for humans by Hester Weaving, The Conversation UK, Oct 3, 2022
- Science Guy Bill Nye Tells Conservatives to ‘Cut It Out’ With Climate Denial in the Wake of Hurricane Ian by Olivia Rosane, EcoWatch, Oct 3, 2022
- ‘This is part of our world now’: can TV shows adequately reflect the climate crisis? by Katharine Gammon, The Guardian, Oct 4, 2022
Wed, Oct 5, 2022
- Five ways media and journalists can support climate action while tackling misinformation by Laura Quiñones, UN News, Oct 3, 2022
- Hope amid climate chaos: ‘We are in a race between Armageddon and awesome’ by Damian Carrington, The Guardian, Oct 4, 2022
- From the eMail bag: A Review of a paper by Ellis and Palmer by Bob Loblaw, Skeptical Science, Oct 5, 2022
- Almost 200 nations are set to tackle climate change at COP27 in Egypt. Is this just a talkfest, or does the meeting actually matter? by Matt McDonald, The Conversation AU, Oct 5, 2022
Thu, Oct 6, 2022
- Extreme hurricanes show time of climate change denial is over – Vatican by Philip Pullella, Reuters/WTVB, Oct 4, 2022
- Climate change made 2022’s northern-hemisphere droughts ‘at least 20 times’ more likely by Ayesha Tandon, Carbon Brief, Oct 5, 2022
- ‘Reckless’ coal firms plan climate-busting expansion, study finds by Damian Carrington, The Guardian, Oct 6, 2022
Fri, Oct 7, 2022
- The Climate Economy Is About to Explode by Robinson Meyer, The Atlantic Magazine, Oct 5, 2022
- First on CNN: White House releasing progress reports on agencies’ efforts to combat climate change risks by Maegan Vazquez, CNN, Oct 6, 2022
- No, a cherry-picked analysis doesn’t demonstrate that we’re not in a climate crisis by Ken Rice, Skeptical Science, Oct 7, 2022
- Biden shifts his climate message to adaptation after storms by Scott Waldman, Climate Wire/E&E News. Oct 6, 2022
Sat, Oct 8, 2022
- Butterfly numbers still ‘worryingly low’ in 2022 despite good weather by Nilima Marshall, Independent (UK), 0ct 7, 2022
- Everyone counts CO2 differently. Scientists have a solution. by Chelsea Harvey, Climate Wire/E&E News. Oct 5, 2022
- Fox trots out same climate denial narrative for every major hurricane that hits the US by Ted MacDonald, Media Matters for America, Oct 6, 2022
- What the new “Climate Declaration” doesn’t tell us (nudge nudge, wink wink), Video by Peter Hadfield, Potholer54, on YouTube, Oct 8, 2022
- How Fox News weaponized Hurricane Ian to push its agenda to discredit climate science, trash Democrats, obstruct climate by Allison Fisher, Medias Matters for America, Oct 7, 2022