2022 SkS Weekly Climate Change & Global Warming News Roundup #47
Posted on 19 November 2022 by John Hartz
Story of the Week
Is COP27 the End of Hopes for Limiting Global Warming to 1.5 Degrees Celsius?
The climate talks are going into overtime with little progress toward the emissions cuts required to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement.
The COP27 climate conference in Egypt may be remembered as the moment when the world gave up on limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius, the most ambitious goal set by the 2015 Paris Agreement.
Late Friday, the last scheduled day of the climate talks in Sharm el-Sheikh, the heads of the national delegations were still meeting to discuss whether the final documents should include a reference to that temperature target, which scientists call a limit that, if breached, would push some Earth systems past dangerous and irreversible tipping points.
This year’s annual meeting was billed as the “implementation COP,” but so far “nothing has been implemented, and it has thus failed to achieve what it set out to do,” said Stephanie Hirmer, a senior researcher at the University of Oxford’s energy and power group. “While everyone knows the 1.5-degree target is off the table, it is not openly discussed in official sessions,” she said.
The only way to stay under that limit, a recent United Nations Environment Programme report concluded, would be for industrialized nations to rapidly reduce greenhouse gas emissions—cutting them by about half in the next eight years and to zero by 2050—but nothing that happened at this year’s two-week conference has increased the likelihood that will happen.
Click here to access the entire article as originally posted on Inside Climate News.
Is COP27 the End of Hopes for Limiting Global Warming to 1.5 Degrees Celsius? by Bob Berwyn, Science, Inside Climate News, Nov 19, 2022
Links posted on Facebook
Sun, Nov 13, 2022
- Science Day at COP27 Shows That Climate Talks Aren’t Keeping Pace With Planetary Physics by Bob Berwyn, Science, Inside Climate News, Nov 12, 2022
- What Happens After Warming Hits 1.5C? A Guide to Climate Overshoot by Eric Roston, Bloomberg Green, Nov 8, 2020
- Belching lakes, mystery craters, ‘zombie fires’: How the climate crisis is transforming the Arctic permafrost by Katie Hunt, CNN, Non 12, 2022
- UN climate talks reach halftime with key issues unresolved by Frank Jordans, AP/ABC News, Nov 12, 2022
Mon, Nov 14, 2022
- Replace animal farms with micro-organism tanks, say campaigners by Helena Horton, Environment, The Guardian, Nov 11, 2022
- COP27: Fears of compromise on key 1.5C global temperature issue by Matt McGrath, Science, BBC News, Nov 14, 2022
- COP27 Deal Looks Distant as Loss and Damage Slows Process by Laura Millan Lombrana, Jennifer A Dlouhy & Antony Sguazzin, Bloomberg Green, Nov 14, 2022
- Energy crisis puts global climate measures to the test by Jeannette Cwienk, DW (Deutsche Welle), Nov 14, 2022
Tue, Nov 15, 2022
- Solar Revolution—Not ‘Dash for Gas’—Best Course for Africa’s Economic Future: Analysis by Jon Queally, Common Dreams, Nov 14, 2022
- How close are we to passing 1.5 degrees Celsius of global warming? by Laurie Goering, Climate, Context, Nov 14, 2022
- Climate Disinformation Campaigns Threaten COP27 Progress, a New Report Concludes by Kristoffer Tigue & Bob Berwyn, Today’s Climate, Inside Climate News, Nov 15, 2022
Wed, Nov 16, 2022
Thu, Nov 17, 2022
Fri, Nov 18, 2022
Sat, Nov 19, 2022
- New reports spell out climate urgency, shortfalls, needed actions by Michael Svoboda, Yale Climate Connections, Nov 11, 2022
- Is COP27 the End of Hopes for Limiting Global Warming to 1.5 Degrees Celsius? by Bob Berwyn, Science, Inside Climate News, Nov 19, 2022
- California Releases Sweeping New Climate Action Plan to Reach Carbon Neutrality by Kevin Stark, Science, KQED, Nov 16, 2022