2023 SkS Weekly Climate Change & Global Warming News Roundup #16
Posted on 22 April 2023 by John Hartz
Story of the Week
Earth Day: Here are 5 ways we can scale up climate solutions, according to IPCC
- Earth Day 2023 will be marked on 22 April to mobilize policymakers, investors and society at large to fight the climate crisis.
- A new report from the IPCC underlines that despite all progress, we are still off track when meeting vital targets.
- But it also reveals that many climate mitigation solutions are ready, we just have to deploy them at scale – here are five examples.
On April 22, the world will be marking Earth Day, a global day of environmental activism to bring about policy changes, mobilize funding and transform human behaviour to fight the climate crisis. Earth Day 2023 comes as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) latest report has reinforced we are still way off-track when it comes to redressing the impacts of global warming<.
Despite all mitigation efforts, Earth’s climate continues to get warmer, and is likely to reach 1.5°C anytime between 2030 and 2035, the IPCC warns. To stop it from rising above this limit, greenhouse gas and CO2 emissions must be reduced by at least 43% by 2030 and at least 60% by 2035 (compared to 2019 levels).
UN Secretary-General António Guterres described the report as “a clarion call to massively fast-track climate efforts” but also as “a how-to guide to defuse the climate time-bomb”.
Click here to access the entire article as originally posted on the World Economic Forum website.
Earth Day: Here are 5 ways we can scale up climate solutions, according to IPCC by Andrea Willige, Climate Change, World Economic Forum (WEP), Apr 19, 2023
Links posted on Facebook
Sun, Apr 16, 2023
- Skeptical Science New Research for Week #15 2023 byDoug Bostrom & Marc Kodack, Skeptical Science, Apr 13, 2023
- Cranky Uncle can now be played in Turkish as the 9th language! by Bärbel Winkler, Skeptical Science, Apr 16, 2023
- From the Frontlines of the Climate Movement, A Message of Hope by Kiley Bense, Warming Trends, Inside Climate News, Apr 15, 2023
Mon, Apr 17, 2023
- California’s ‘big melt’ has begun and could bring perilous flooding with it by Gabrielle Canon, US News, The Guardian, Apr 16, 2023
- EGU2023 – Upcoming presentations in Vienna by Bärbel Winkler & John Mason, Skeptical Science, Apr 17, 2023
- The ‘ninjas’ fighting climate change denial on Twitter Marco Silva, Trending, BBC News, Apr 16, 2023
Tue, Apr 18, 2023
- UN Water Conference Highlights a Stubborn Shortage of Global Action by Delaney Dryfoos, Politics & Policy, Inside Climate News, Apr 17, 2023
- At a glance – Are surface temperature records reliable? by John Mason & BaerbelW, Skeptical Science, Apr 18, 2023
- Historic Asia heat breaks hundreds of records, with extremes in Thailand and China by Dan Stillman, Weather, Washington Post, Apr 17, 2023
Wed, Apr 19, 2023
- ‘Don’t fool yourself’: billions more needed to protect tropical forests, The Guardian warns,new report by Patgrick Greenfield, Environment, The Guardian, Apr 19, 2023
- Earth Day: Here are 5 ways we can scale up climate solutions, according to IPCC by Andrea Willige, Climate Change, World Economic Forum (WEP), Apr 19, 2023
- World’s at-risk kelp forests provide billions of dollars in benefits, study shows by Graham Readfearn, Environment, The Guardian, Apr 18, 2023
Thu, Apr 20, 2023
- What Makes People Act on Climate Change, according to Behavioral Science by Andrea Thompson, Environment, Scientific American, Apr 19, 2023
- Why Asia’s early heat wave is so alarming by Rebecca Leber, Climate, Vox, Apr 19, 2023
- March 2023: Earth’s 2nd-warmest March on record by Jeff Masters & Bob Henson, Eye on the Storm, Yale Climate Connections, Apr 13, 2023
Fri, Apr 21, 2023
Sat, Apr 22, 2023
- Analysis: Shell admits 1.5C climate goal means immediate end to fossil fuel growth by Josh Gabbatiss, Energy, Carbon Brief, Apr 20, 2023
- A Steady Six in 10 Say Global Warming’s Effects Have Begun by Lydia Saad, Politics, Gallup, Apr 20, 2023
- EPA plan would impose drastic cuts on power plant emissions by 2040 by Timothy Puko, Climate, Washington Post, Apr 22, 2023
Printable Version | Link to this page
(free to republish)