spot_img
HomeSports NewsBBL 2022-23 - Colin de Grandhomme's presence in BBL draft catches New...

BBL 2022-23 – Colin de Grandhomme’s presence in BBL draft catches New Zealand Cricket by surprise


There was confusion over the status of Colin de Grandhomme in the BBL draft after he was selected by Adelaide Strikers, with New Zealand Cricket (NZC) saying they had not been approached by him to play in the tournament.

Strikers took de Grandhomme as their second pick, with head coach Jason Gillespie citing his availability as a key factor. However, he is centrally contracted by NZC who, as of Monday morning, said were unaware of the allrounder’s intentions.

“As it stands, Colin is a centrally-contracted player and has not requested a release,” an NZC spokesperson told ESPNcricinfo. “We’re now in discussions with Colin to find the best possible way forward.”

There was initial surprise at de Grandhomme’s name being announced because he had not been on the final list of 332 players circulated earlier in the week ahead of the draft. However, ESPNcricinfo understands that he had nominated himself before the cut-off last Sunday though his final paperwork took more time to come through, and so CA weren’t able to confirm his name in the list.

“We think he complements our squad perfectly,” Gillespie said. “We feel with our squad and what will complement our local players most effectively is someone that can bat in the middle, offer some overs and is good in the field. He’s very experienced and has played a lot of cricket all around the world. Colin was high in our thinking. We’re absolutely delighted we’ve managed to get him.”

De Grandhomme has not played for New Zealand since the Lord’s Test against England in June, where he suffered a heel injury that was expected to sideline him for three months. While he is not a certainty to return to the side, New Zealand have a tour to Pakistan in late December, which overlaps with a significant portion of the BBL.

And even if he wasn’t selected, de Grandhomme would still require a No Objection Certificate from NZC. Centrally-contracted players are also expected to make themselves available for the domestic Super Smash tournament, which runs through January.

Trent Boult, who was a platinum player in the draft and was picked by Melbourne Stars, was released from his central contract earlier this month at his request. NZC said he would no longer be guaranteed selection, with preference given to those contracted either centrally or domestically.

However, Boult is expected to be part of the T20 World Cup, while also being part of the squad for three ODIs against Australia starting next week in Cairns.



Source link

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments