spot_img
HomeEntertainmentPrince Harry And Meghan Markle Reply To Netflix Criticism

Prince Harry And Meghan Markle Reply To Netflix Criticism


A representative for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle hit back at the “distorted narrative” that the couple left the royal family in 2020 for “privacy.”

Amid the release of the Netflix documentary series, Harry & Meghan, some people began accusing the pair of hypocrisy over the false idea that they left the royal family over privacy concerns. Infamous Megxit troll Piers Morgan even tweeted, “Imagine bleating about privacy, then doing a kiss-and-tell reality series about your private lives?”

The couple’s press secretary subsequently issued a statement that read, “The Duke and Duchess have never cited privacy as the reason for stepping back. This distorted narrative was intended to trap the couple into silence.”

“They are choosing to share their story, on their terms, and yet, the tabloid media has created an entirely untrue narrative that permeates press coverage and public opinion.”

Indeed, Meghan and Harry didn’t cite privacy as a reason for stepping back from the royal family in their January 2020 statement — because they didn’t give any reason at all. “After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution,” their Instagram post at the time read.

Shortly after they left their roles, Harry and Meghan did write a letter to various British tabloids saying that they would move forward with a policy of “zero engagement” — but that was because of “distorted, false, or invasive beyond reason” stories written about them.

The following year, Meghan successfully sued publisher Associated Newspapers for invasion of privacy and copyright infringement after they published portions of a letter that she wrote to her father about marrying Harry. Meghan subsequently called the Mail on Sunday’s practices “illegal and dehumanizing” after the victory.

Meghan did address the “false narrative” over privacy head-on in an unaired moment in her March 2021 interview with Oprah, saying, “Everyone has a basic right to privacy. Basic…I’ve never talked about privacy.”

VIDEO: Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, tells Oprah Winfrey that the idea that she and Prince Harry left official royal life for “privacy” is a “false narrative” created by the press.


Harpo Productions / Ellie Hall

And earlier this year, she told the Cut that it was easier to send Archie to school in the US — as in England, she wouldn’t be able to do school pickup without hoards of photographers. “Sorry, I have a problem with that. That doesn’t make me obsessed with privacy. That makes me a strong and good parent protecting my child,” she said.

You can read more about the privacy narrative here.





Source link

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments