Sinéad O’Connor‘s death is not being treated as “suspicious,” authorities have confirmed.
Just hours after news broke that the “Nothing Compares 2 U” singer had died at the age of 56, London’s Metropolitan Police said in a statement obtained by NBC News that they responded to “reports of an unresponsive woman at a residential address” in South London on July 26.
Officers said they discovered a “a 56-year-old woman” who was pronounced dead at the scene, adding that a “file will be prepared for the coroner.”
In a statement shared to Reuters, London Inner South Coroner’s Court confirmed it had been notified of her death, explaining that “no medical cause of death was given.”
“The coroner therefore directed an autopsy to be conducted,” their July 27 statement read. “The results of this may not available for several weeks.”
The Grammy winner’s family announced news of her death to Irish broadcaster RTE on July 26.
“It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad,” their statement read. “Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time.”